Thursday, May 18, 2006

What a Storm!

Gods, what an awesome storm we had yesterday. I haven's seen a storm with that kind of fury roll through these parts in a long time. It has been raining off and on for the last four days, which I have liked. I love the rain; the way it smells and it often just fits my mood and personality. This storm that hit yesterday was different however. It was just incredible. I was finishing up a work out when I heard the tornado sirens go off. I was a bit confused because when I had started working out, the sun was shining. Then all of a sudden I heard this roar, and what sounded like an entire army running across the roof. So I went to a window and was stunned by the ferociousness that I saw. It was raining so hard that you couldn't see more than a couple of feet. So I grabbed my gear and went outside to stand under the awning and watch this beast in all of its glory.

The raindrops were huge, almost the size of a childs fist, and they were falling so hard and fast that it sounded like it was raining gravel! I waited a few minutes to see if it would let up enough for me to make a mad dasjh to my car. I knew my daughter was probably going crazy as she does not share my love of inclement weather. Well of course it doesnt let up, so I take off running, and the wind and rain was so hard that I felt like I was being physically attacked as I made my way to my car. I drove over to the sitter's and picked my kids up dodging tree limbs and flying garbage cans. The streets had become so flooded that I thought I was going to need an Ark to get home. Then the hail started.

It was pebble sized and just came streaming from the sky like it was out for vengeance! I have seen hail, but never with this intensity and never lasting this long. When the hail finally did stop, it looked like it had snowed. The ground was completely covered. I made it home fairly safe with my kids who were all a little shaken up but otherwise ok. They all went in the house, but I was mesmerized. I stayed outside on my deck and watched the rage in which this storm carried itself. The almost deafening thunderclaps followed by the blinding flashes of lightening that looked if it was close enough to grab along with the torrential downpour was awe-inspiring. I watched helplessly as a huge limb was torn from a tree in my backyard and blown ino my neighbors yard smashing several flower pots! It was incredible.

I dont remember ever feeling that invigorated or charged up before. The fury of that storm was like a huge jolt of caffeine. Had I the nerve, I would have stripped down and ran out into it naked. Letting the huge raindrops cleanse the stresses of the past week from my body like some sort of bizarre baptism. It finally let up after about an hour. I was completely drenched, but I havent felt that good in awhile. It continued to rain for most of the evening, but the rage of the storm had passed. I felt completely spent by the whole experience. It was such an adrenaline rush. Later in the evening, I went back outside and smoked one of my best cigars and revelled in the memory. What a great fucking storm!

4 Comments:

Blogger kitty ramone said...

sounds awesome.

May 18, 2006 6:27 PM  
Blogger Grilled Cheese Samurai said...

YAY!

I love me a good storm!

*does rain dance*

May 18, 2006 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

June 08, 2006 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

July 22, 2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home